One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- past and past participle of lend
The period preceding Easter that in the Christian Church is devoted to fasting, abstinence, and penitence in commemoration of Christ's fasting in the wilderness. In the Western Church it runs from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday and so includes forty weekdays.
- ‘These aren't the words we would normally want to hear on the day before Lent begins.’
- ‘During Lent, a visiting priest will celebrate Mass and preach at the Vigil Mass on Saturday night.’
- ‘To this end he will be eating as little as possible from the beginning of Lent until Easter.’
- ‘One of the most enjoyable events in Bolivia is Carnival, the period preceding Lent.’
- ‘Since one must reserve a room six months in advance, I made plans last fall to visit this Lent.’
Middle English: abbreviation of Lenten.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.