One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fact or quality of being more merciful or tolerant than expected; clemency.‘the court could show leniency’
mercifulness, mercy, clemency, lenity, forgivenessView synonyms
- ‘South Africa too, will seek more leniency in international trade of elephant products.’
- ‘So I think the rules of engagement give the military the leniency they need to accomplish their mission.’
- ‘He's publicly turned down a deal for leniency in exchange for information on his surveillance activities.’
- ‘There is the famous joke about the man who kills his parents and then looks for leniency at his murder trial because he is an orphan.’
- ‘The son pleads guilty, tearfully begging for leniency based on his claim that his father molested him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.