One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fact or quality of being more merciful or tolerant than expected; clemency.‘the court could show leniency’
mercifulness, mercy, clemency, lenity, forgivenessView synonyms
- ‘There is the famous joke about the man who kills his parents and then looks for leniency at his murder trial because he is an orphan.’
- ‘So I think the rules of engagement give the military the leniency they need to accomplish their mission.’
- ‘The son pleads guilty, tearfully begging for leniency based on his claim that his father molested him.’
- ‘He's publicly turned down a deal for leniency in exchange for information on his surveillance activities.’
- ‘South Africa too, will seek more leniency in international trade of elephant products.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.