One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arboreal primate with a pointed snout and typically a long tail, found only in Madagascar.
Lemuridae and other families, suborder Prosimii; includes also the sifaka, indri, and aye-ayeCompare with flying lemur
- ‘It's well known among primatologists that the number of males within a group of, say, baboons, chimpanzees, or lemurs is related to the number of females.’
- ‘Like much of Madagascar's wildlife, lemurs are under serious threats.’
- ‘It is a primate, close kin to the bushbabies of sub-Saharan Africa and the lemurs of Madagascar.’
- ‘Primates including forest-dwelling ancestors of today's lemurs and tarsiers flourished in the trees.’
- ‘Folly Farm staff are also delighted at the birth of two more ring tailed lemurs twins, also highly endangered, and prairie dog twins, all born around the same time and yet to be named.’
- ‘Till now, scientists thought the common ancestor of lemurs and lorises was a native of Africa, but the discovery in Pakistan suggests alternative scenarios.’
- ‘The most famous of the island's animals are lemurs, large-eyed primates that leap through the trees.’
- ‘A year later, I became an external PhD student at the college, studying seed dispersal by lemurs in Madagascar.’
- ‘As its body weight increases by around 40 percent, the lemur's tail swells massively with stored fat reserves.’
- ‘Here you'll see lemurs, those fascinating primates unique to Madagascar, as well as a variety of other rare creatures and plants.’
- ‘One of the world's most diverse primates, lemurs range in size from a mouse to a medium-size dog.’
- ‘Catlike predators with long tails, fossas hunt everything from lemurs and mice to wild pigs.’
- ‘The lake is home a troop of rare lemurs - a primate species indigenous to Madagascar.’
- ‘In addition, researchers know that some monkeys, lemurs, and other mammals also eavesdrop on neighboring species.’
- ‘Even endangered species, like Diana monkeys, lemurs, and gibbons, are for sale.’
- ‘Primitive primates called lemurs fill the ecological roles of woodpeckers, squirrels and monkeys.’
- ‘The lemurs of Madagascar are the surviving members of a lineage that has been genetically isolated from the rest of the primate family for at least 65 million years.’
- ‘In other words, the movie implies that primates, like lemurs trace an evolutionary ancestry that goes back to the dinosaurs.’
- ‘Apart from those already mentioned there are zebras, camels, baboons, lemurs, sea lions, humboldt penguins, tapirs and meerkats.’
- ‘There were rodents, bats, elephants and lemurs with pointed snouts and long tails.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin lemures ‘spirits of the dead’ (from its appearance or nocturnal habits).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.