One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Honduras, equal to 100 centavos.
- ‘He gets into social life, the few extra lempiras a week, the booze, the downward spiral.’
- ‘The minimum funeral grant is 250 lempiras if the insured made at least one contribution in the last 6 months.’
- ‘The teachers are seeking an hourly wage increase of 10.19 lempiras.’
- ‘The land cost us 487500 lempiras.’
- ‘On a good day she might make as much as 100 lempiras, but usually more like 40 or 50.’
Named after Lempira, a 16th-century Indian chieftain who opposed the Spanish conquest of Honduras.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.