One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A preserve with a thick consistency made from lemons, butter, eggs, and sugar.
- ‘Old-fashioned lemon curd is made with a great many eggs.’
- ‘You can make surprisingly good lemon curd with leaf gelatin.’
- ‘Chill the lemon curd until the cake has cooled and is ready to be frosted.’
- ‘I was drawn to the lemon curd cake, as I'd once nagged my mother to make one, having read about it in a Famous Five book.’
- ‘When did it become acceptable to put lemon curd in Belgian buns?’
- ‘Cut the sponge cake into thin slices then spread each one generously with the orange or lemon curd.’
- ‘Much nicer though is a lime version of lemon curd.’
- ‘Dessert is fresh fruit, pound cake with lemon curd and cream, and assorted sweet bars.’
- ‘This consisted of a single warmed scone, a pot of lemon curd and one of clotted cream.’
- ‘Whisk the eggs and oil together until thick, then add to the bowl along with the lemon curd.’
- ‘Meanwhile to make lemon curd, in bowl, beat together eggs, sugar and salt.’
- ‘Man cannot survive on bread alone, even with lemon curd on it.’
- ‘He's currently looking for a producer to supply Yorkshire jam and lemon curd.’
- ‘For fun they ‘like to take long deep breaths and dip their heads into bowls of raspberry jelly and lemon curd.’’
- ‘On several occasions, in or beside the old boathouse, we scoffed copious amounts of home-made scones, dripping with home-made lemon curd.’
- ‘They tend to go for things like lemon curd and British biscuits.’
- ‘I cannot make all those little sandwiches and lemon curd!’
- ‘Or roast the tomatoes and make the lemon cheese up to 2 days ahead; cover separately and chill.’
- ‘So I went rummaging in the fridge and found a jar of lemon curd and smothered that all over my bread instead.’
- ‘I bought Marmite and lemon curd, cream crackers and gentleman's relish, steak and kidney pies and Worcestershire sauce.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.