Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A subsidiary or intermediate theorem in an argument or proof.
- ‘The following lemma is fundamental in the theory of incomplete markets.’
- ‘To state the lemma, we need to make one more definition concerning functors.’
- ‘It takes a long series of lemmas to show how powerful the primitive recursive functions are.’
- ‘The fundamental lemma of the calculus of variations is named after him.’
- ‘I found a gap in a proof and proved a lemma to set it right.’
2A heading indicating the subject or argument of a literary composition, an annotation, or a dictionary entry.
- ‘The lemma is always followed by an analysis of the text.’
Late 16th century: via Latin from Greek lēmma something assumed; derived from lambanein take.
The lower bract of the floret of a grass.Compare with palea
- ‘On the day before florets opened, the third florets from the top of the first branches were fixed in FAA after removing the lemmas.’
- ‘Each floret is enclosed in a lemma and palea and all florets produce two lodicules, three stamens, and a gynoecium.’
- ‘Phenotypic traits include barbed lemmas, small sterile lateral spikelets, short glume awns, narrow leaves, semismooth awns, and long rachilla hairs.’
- ‘Two leafy organs protect the floret of grasses, the lemma, and the palea, and both are considered to represent reduced vegetative leaves.’
- ‘In the basal part of the floret, the mRNA label was very strong in the two distinctive bracts, lemma and palea, as well as in the base of the two lodicules and the pistil complex.’
Mid 18th century (denoting the husk or shell of a fruit): from Greek, from lepein to peel.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.