A tropical and subtropical disease caused by leishmania and transmitted by the bite of sandflies. It affects either the skin or the internal organs.
- ‘Leishmania is a protozoan parasite and the causative agent of the disease leishmaniasis.’
- ‘The cutaneous form of leishmaniasis occurs from two weeks to six months after the bite of a sandfly.’
- ‘Various forms of leishmaniasis are spread by the sandfly and are endemic in 88 countries on five continents.’
- ‘Of all the parasitic diseases, leishmaniasis is considered the most likely to succumb to vaccination.’
- ‘In cutaneous leishmaniasis, the systemic symptoms are usually absent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.