One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting plants of the pea family (Leguminosae). They have seeds in pods, distinctive flowers, and typically root nodules containing symbiotic bacteria able to fix nitrogen.Compare with papilionaceous
- ‘This leguminous climbing plant is commonly called the velvet bean.’
- ‘The beans are the seeds of the leguminous soybean plant.’
- ‘Tomato has an advantage if planting follows leguminous crops like groundnuts and beans which put nitrogen back into the soil.’
- ‘Golden peanut oil is a by-product of the leguminous plant native to Mexico.’
- ‘Still, no one had figured out how leguminous plants assimilate nitrogen.’
Late Middle English (in the sense ‘relating to pulses’): from medieval Latin leguminosus, from legumen (see legume).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.