Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting plants of the pea family ("Leguminosae"). They have seeds in pods, distinctive flowers, and typically root nodules containing symbiotic bacteria able to fix nitrogen.Compare with papilionaceous
- ‘Golden peanut oil is a by-product of the leguminous plant native to Mexico.’
- ‘This leguminous climbing plant is commonly called the velvet bean.’
- ‘Still, no one had figured out how leguminous plants assimilate nitrogen.’
- ‘The beans are the seeds of the leguminous soybean plant.’
- ‘Tomato has an advantage if planting follows leguminous crops like groundnuts and beans which put nitrogen back into the soil.’
Late Middle English (in the sense relating to pulses): from medieval Latin leguminosus, from legumen (see legume).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.