Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A leguminous plant (member of the pea family), especially one grown as a crop.
- ‘Orchardgrass is especially well suited for mixtures with tall legumes, such as alfalfa and red clover.’
- ‘This can cause difficulty for forage producers who have increased their use of mixtures of grasses and legumes, especially with alfalfa.’
- ‘Vance's focus is on improving biological nitrogen fixation for alfalfa and other legumes as well as improving how plants acquire more phosphorus from the soil.’
- ‘In the Northeast, pasture typically contains a grass species plus a legume, like clover, according to ARS agronomist Matt Sanderson.’
- ‘The use of legumes as rotation crops is once again gaining favor.’
- ‘He's also seeded pastures with legumes like alfalfa and red and white clovers.’
- ‘Green manure crops and crop rotations involving legumes also provide farmers with an additional source of plant nutrients.’
- ‘From that point, we could talk about feeding the soil with compost and diverse cover crops (both legumes and grasses).’
- ‘Other crop plants like peppers, cowpeas, clovers, legumes, and many others will be studied in the future.’
- ‘The most common legumes are alfalfa, red clover and birdsfoot trefoil.’
- ‘Apart from sugar and soybeans we also grow other legumes and sunflowers, a source for cooking oil.’
- ‘To control nematodes, rotate crops with grasses or legumes, and maintain a high level of soil organic matter.’
- ‘Grasses and legumes can provide cover for ground nesting birds - especially if the area is not mowed during the nesting season.’
- ‘Buckwheat, mustard, rape, or fast-growing legumes, such as vetches or crimson clover, can be used.’
- ‘These foods include soybeans, other types of legumes, clover, alfalfa, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and rye.’
- ‘Perennial grasses or legumes should be planted by now.’
- ‘Since these two cover crops are legumes, they form a symbiosis with specialized soil bacteria called rhizobia.’
- ‘We are aware of no such studies of wild legumes growing in uncultivated soils.’
- ‘Not only can we produce our own nitrogen by growing legumes, but we can actually rebuild the health of our soils.’
- ‘As farms grew, wheat became the universal crop and was often used as a means of payment; other crops included legumes, barley, and oats.’
- 1.1 A seed, pod, or other edible part of a leguminous plant, used as food.
- ‘It is high in cereal grains, legumes and root vegetables and restricts simple sugar and fats.’
- ‘Black-eyed peas are a good low-fat complement to oily legumes such as soybeans and peanuts.’
- ‘Try to get as much fiber as you can from bodybuilding foods such as oatmeal, brown rice, whole-grain breads, vegetables, legumes and fruit.’
- ‘Vegetarian patients with wounds will need to have their menus revised to incorporate a variety of nuts, grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, and beverages.’
- ‘At about 17 grams of fiber per cup, beans, lentils and legumes also are high in protein and rich in complex carbohydrates, which helps keep hunger at bay.’
- ‘Eat more fresh fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, and nuts.’
- ‘It is one of the few legumes with more protein than carbohydrate.’
- ‘Fibre present in vegetables, fruits, legumes and fenugreek seeds is soluble in nature and more effective in controlling blood sugar and serum lipids.’
- ‘They form the foundation of a healthy diet, along with other plant-based foods, including vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds.’
- ‘Vegetarians base their diet on four main food groups: starch, legumes, fruits and vegetables.’
- ‘Dark, leafy green vegetables, beans and legumes are helpful.’
- ‘Look for options that contain legumes or soy protein.’
- ‘Good sources of fiber include fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains and whole-grain products.’
- ‘Folate is found in dark green leafy vegetables, beans and legumes and citrus fruits.’
- ‘Follow a meal plan that includes a variety of low-fat foods, emphasizing fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes.’
- ‘Increase exercise, fruits, whole grains, legumes, vegetables, spices such as black pepper, turmeric and ginger.’
- ‘Olives, vegetables, legumes, potatoes, rice, unsweetened fruits and gluten-free products are allowed.’
- ‘Your best sources of fiber are bran cereals, whole-wheat bread, legumes and oatmeal.’
- ‘If you're going to enrich your diet with fresh fruits, vegetables and legumes, look for organic varieties to avoid produce that's coated with chemicals.’
- ‘Foods high in dietary fibre may include whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruits.’
- 1.2Botany The long seedpod of a leguminous plant.
seed case, pod, shell, husk, hull, case, sheathView synonyms
- ‘Seed coat cells in the developing seeds of grain legumes release nutrients to the developing embryo.’
- ‘The larger plants contained many blooms and legumes, allowing them to be identified in the field.’
- ‘In legumes, net pod photosynthesis is generally lower and, in chickpea, rates are generally less than 5% of that in the subtending leaf.’
- ‘More information is needed to understand how the pod wall or seed coat tissues in legumes provide these functions; a sound structural foundation should help in this effort.’
- ‘In many legumes, seeds are arranged linearly within the pod, making it relatively simple to study the effect of position of the ovule on seed abortion and seed set.’
Mid 17th century (denoting the edible portion of the plant): from French légume, from Latin legumen, from legere ‘to pick’ (because the fruit may be picked by hand).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.