Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of bacterial pneumonia first identified after an outbreak at an American Legion meeting in 1976. It is spread chiefly by water droplets through air conditioning and similar systems.See also legionella
- ‘Colds, pneumonia, tuberculosis, and influenza are more common in smokers, as is legionnaires' disease.’
- ‘An outbreak of legionnaires' disease occurred a year ago in a small town in northern Portugal, coinciding with the local annual festivities.’
- ‘Health chiefs are still looking into an outbreak of legionnaires' disease which killed six people in Barrow-in-Furness.’
- ‘If you develop the above symptoms and you are worried that it might be legionnaires' disease, you should see your GP.’
- ‘One case study concerned an outbreak of legionnaires' disease in citizens from four member states that was linked to a location outside the EU.’
legionnaires' disease/ˈlēːjəˌne(ə)rz dəˌzēz/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.