Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Coins or banknotes that must be accepted if offered in payment of a debt.
cash, hard cash, ready moneyView synonyms
- ‘From January 1, only the new bills and coins are legal tender.’
- ‘Euro notes and coins become legal tender in 12 countries and ‘dual circulation’ begins.’
- ‘Its bank notes, which functioned much like today's paper currency, acted as legal tender in payment of U.S. debts.’
- ‘Making the notes legal tender for all debts would solve that problem.’
- ‘In 1811, paper banknotes became legal tender in Britain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.