Coins or banknotes that must be accepted if offered in payment of a debt.
cash, hard cash, ready moneyView synonyms
- ‘Euro notes and coins become legal tender in 12 countries and ‘dual circulation’ begins.’
- ‘From January 1, only the new bills and coins are legal tender.’
- ‘Making the notes legal tender for all debts would solve that problem.’
- ‘In 1811, paper banknotes became legal tender in Britain.’
- ‘Its bank notes, which functioned much like today's paper currency, acted as legal tender in payment of U.S. debts.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.