1An arrangement by which a couple remain married but live apart, following a court order.Also called judicial separation
- ‘Spouses may achieve a legal separation simply by drawing up a deed of separation.’
- ‘It couldn't hurt to do some browsing to see what constitutes a legal separation, and to know your rights ahead of time.’
- ‘Many unhappy spouses simply ran away or sought a legal separation.’
- ‘Presumably, these rights would include the right to seek a legal separation, and to seek a divorce.’
- ‘Thanksgiving came and went, and Marie's lawyer notified me that she was filing for a legal separation.’
2An arrangement by which a child lives apart from a natural parent and with the other natural parent or a foster parent, following a court order.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.