One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arrangement by which a couple remain married but live apart, following a court order.Also called judicial separation
break-up, split-up, separation, parting, estrangement, parting of the ways, rift, rupture, breachView synonyms
- ‘Thanksgiving came and went, and Marie's lawyer notified me that she was filing for a legal separation.’
- ‘Many unhappy spouses simply ran away or sought a legal separation.’
- ‘It couldn't hurt to do some browsing to see what constitutes a legal separation, and to know your rights ahead of time.’
- ‘Presumably, these rights would include the right to seek a legal separation, and to seek a divorce.’
- ‘Spouses may achieve a legal separation simply by drawing up a deed of separation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.