One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The age at which a person takes on the rights and responsibilities of an adult.
- ‘If you are of legal age to drink alcohol and can control your consumption, you may wonder why we recommend avoiding it.’
- ‘The legal age for liquor consumption has to rise from 18 to 21.’
- ‘He was to marry Yolanda in 1225, as soon as she reached the legal age of fourteen.’
- ‘The problem with drinking in this country is the culture that surrounds it rather than the legal age at which it can be consumed publicly.’
- ‘A lot of them do not know anything about the legal age of consent.’
- ‘For example, every time I go to any corner store and ask for tobacco products, I'll be able to prove to them that I am of legal age.’
- ‘If so, there go legal ages for voting, driving, gun ownership, drinking, smoking and pornography.’
- ‘The legal age for marriage is set by the government at sixteen years for women and twenty-one years for men.’
- ‘The girl was just happy that Christina, who was of legal age to drink, agreed to buy her the wine cooler that sat on the table before her.’
- ‘Since my parents are dead, and I'm of legal age, I can live by myself.’
- ‘Police are trying to find out if jetski operators had hired out the vehicles illegally, since the teenagers were under the legal age of 18 to drive them.’
- ‘According to Canada's criminal code, the legal age of consent for sexual activity is 14, except for those in a position of authority.’
- ‘In California, if you drink under the legal age, one of the penalties that can be imposed is that you lose your license.’
- ‘More concrete results include raising the legal age for marriage in some countries, and increasing women's political representation.’
- ‘Of those, more than half said they work at evenings during the school week and almost all were below the legal age of 14 for paid employment.’
- ‘Four out of five people want the legal age of smoking raised from 16 to 18, according to a survey published today.’
- ‘The legal age of marriage for foreigners will be raised from 15 to 18, on par with the age for Swedes.’
- ‘It seems these days wearing a diamond engagement ring on your finger at 22 years old is taboo despite the legal age of 18.’
- ‘Although the legal age for marriage among women was twelve, fourteen was more common in practice.’
- ‘Even though she wasn't of the legal age, she had been introduced to alcohol for quite some time and never had such a reaction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.