Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The age at which a person takes on the rights and responsibilities of an adult.
- ‘Even though she wasn't of the legal age, she had been introduced to alcohol for quite some time and never had such a reaction.’
- ‘If so, there go legal ages for voting, driving, gun ownership, drinking, smoking and pornography.’
- ‘Although the legal age for marriage among women was twelve, fourteen was more common in practice.’
- ‘More concrete results include raising the legal age for marriage in some countries, and increasing women's political representation.’
- ‘Police are trying to find out if jetski operators had hired out the vehicles illegally, since the teenagers were under the legal age of 18 to drive them.’
- ‘The problem with drinking in this country is the culture that surrounds it rather than the legal age at which it can be consumed publicly.’
- ‘If you are of legal age to drink alcohol and can control your consumption, you may wonder why we recommend avoiding it.’
- ‘The legal age for marriage is set by the government at sixteen years for women and twenty-one years for men.’
- ‘The legal age of marriage for foreigners will be raised from 15 to 18, on par with the age for Swedes.’
- ‘The girl was just happy that Christina, who was of legal age to drink, agreed to buy her the wine cooler that sat on the table before her.’
- ‘Four out of five people want the legal age of smoking raised from 16 to 18, according to a survey published today.’
- ‘Since my parents are dead, and I'm of legal age, I can live by myself.’
- ‘It seems these days wearing a diamond engagement ring on your finger at 22 years old is taboo despite the legal age of 18.’
- ‘A lot of them do not know anything about the legal age of consent.’
- ‘He was to marry Yolanda in 1225, as soon as she reached the legal age of fourteen.’
- ‘According to Canada's criminal code, the legal age of consent for sexual activity is 14, except for those in a position of authority.’
- ‘In California, if you drink under the legal age, one of the penalties that can be imposed is that you lose your license.’
- ‘For example, every time I go to any corner store and ask for tobacco products, I'll be able to prove to them that I am of legal age.’
- ‘The legal age for liquor consumption has to rise from 18 to 21.’
- ‘Of those, more than half said they work at evenings during the school week and almost all were below the legal age of 14 for paid employment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.