One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A trick or practical joke.
sham, fraud, pretence, imposture, hoax, fake, misrepresentation, blind, wile, artifice, trojan horseView synonyms
- ‘One reviewer, for instance, wondered if the book was not just ‘a giant leg-pull,’ ‘random nonsense’ clearly aimed at a lucrative ‘fringe’ market.’
- ‘Whether Davidson's Patent Bed Maker was a serious proposal, or simply another of his celebrated leg-pulls, we never discovered.’
- ‘But it's worth noting that Wood delivers Spooner's final description of the barren no man's land with such exaggerated portent that it could easily be a leg-pull.’
- ‘And did she try any other little leg-pulls on the Home Secretary?’
- ‘It's only a leg-pull, but according to Susan Quilliam, a relationships expert, poor communication is the biggest cause of problems and break-ups after affairs and domestic violence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.