Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sympathetic to or tending toward the left in politics.‘a left-leaning professor’
- ‘The problem for the left-leaning groups was in their implementation.’
- ‘Some of the most left-leaning Governments in Europe have toll roads.’
- ‘He draws on a rich tradition of left-leaning political criticism.’
- ‘He joined the left-leaning Group Theatre as an actor and assistant stage manager.’
- ‘Your politics are left-leaning, and your lifestyle choices decidedly temperate and chaste.’
- ‘The conservatives and liberals backed Mr McCreevy and accused their left-leaning colleagues of populism.’
- ‘That is the way Paul Swain sold it to the other 47 members of his left-leaning Government.’
- ‘GOP colleagues also were puzzled because Forbes was not necessarily seen as a left-leaning moderate.’
- ‘We are a melange of various left-leaning groups, religious and cultural groups, unions, mums, sons, dads and daughters.’
- ‘West Berlin, Kornblum explained, was the most left-leaning of all West German cities.’
- ‘The Church will never accept these arguments but many left-leaning Catholics will, and many more are at least open to them.’
- ‘Clive Hamilton is head of the Australia Institute, a prominent left-leaning think tank.’
- ‘On Tuesday, two left-leaning former prime ministers issued a statement urging the government not to deploy Indian forces.’
- ‘Unlike Kristol, Manne was drawn again to what he calls ‘the left-leaning intelligentsia’.’
- ‘Several of his films are simply unforgettable, and all of them make clear his left-leaning politics.’
- ‘I asked him why he thought left-leaning politicians were being elected across the continent.’
- ‘Is that a major reason why Canada's politics are more left-leaning than America's?’
- ‘I'm pretty sure that's what it means to be left-leaning in the U.S., for most of us.’
- ‘This enabled the left-leaning members of the Democrats to have a voice and they donated millions of dollars to his campaign.’
- ‘The left-leaning and centrist media covered the event widely.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.