1The sediment of wine in the barrel.
sediment, dregs, deposit, grounds, settlings, residue, remains, accumulation, silt, sludgeprecipitate, sublimate, residuumdraff, groutsView synonyms
- ‘The wine is aged on the lees in the bottle for about three years prior to disgorgement.’
- ‘But how do you sort the free-run juice from the lees?’
- ‘A special building is used for the ageing of Milmanda, a Chardonnay wine fermented in small oak casks which spends a long period in contact with its own lees.’
- ‘These have long been used by the Champagne industry to seal bottles while they are aging on the lees.’
- ‘The title came about when the two owners tasted an experimental Chardonnay that had been left on the lees in barrels for some time.’
- 1.1 The most worthless part or parts of something.‘the lees of the Venetian underworld’
Late Middle English: plural of obsolete lee in the same sense, from Old French lie, from medieval Latin liae (plural), of Gaulish origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.