One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant related to the onion, with flat overlapping leaves forming an elongated cylindrical bulb which together with the leaf bases is eaten as a vegetable. It is used as a Welsh national emblem.
Allium porrum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- ‘It turned out to be almost a soup - a hearty bowl of potatoes, onions, leeks and chunks of fish swimming in a thick sauce.’
- ‘Tip the leeks into the cauliflower and potato mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.’
- ‘Asparagus is a member of the lily family and closely related to onions and leeks.’
- ‘Dishes in olive oil included stuffed vine leaves, cabbage and artichokes, leeks and spinach boranaki.’
- ‘Onions and leeks were cultivated as flavourings and wild garlic may have been used.’
- ‘Add the onions, celery, leeks, and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.’
- ‘You can use any vegetables - add leeks, carrots, potatoes or cauliflower if you like.’
- ‘At home we grow sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, garlic and leeks.’
- ‘Add the chicken, leeks carrots and peas, and slowly cook on the stove for about 15 minutes.’
- ‘To make the sauce, heat the remaining butter and oil and cook the leeks, garlic, salt and pepper for 5 minutes until soft.’
- ‘Add more oil to the pan and cook the onion, carrot, leeks and celery gently till soft.’
- ‘Melt the butter in a large pan, add the chopped parsley and leeks, and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft.’
- ‘Spoon the broth with the courgettes and leeks over the pasta, then arrange the fish on top.’
- ‘It is a member of the lily family and is closely related to onions and leeks despite being very different in both taste and appearance.’
- ‘For example, potatoes, carrots, and leeks are all vegetables that can be cooked and eaten.’
- ‘Mash the potatoes and beans together, then add the cabbage and leeks, onion seeds and plenty of pepper.’
- ‘I'm going to eat it with lentils, leeks, carrots and parsley sauce.’
- ‘Horrified, he relates how he was given goat stuffed with onions, garlic, and leeks, swimming in fish sauce.’
- ‘Onions, garlic and leeks are found to have conflicting images throughout much of the world.’
- ‘Slice the carrots, leeks and celery and add to the pot with the parsley stalks and bay leaves, salt and pepper.’
Old English lēac, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch look and German Lauch.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.