One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tendency of a vessel to turn its bow to leeward.
- ‘A yacht with lee helm is very uncomfortable to sail, and under certain conditions can be positively dangerous.’
- ‘If you flatten the main too much and end up just sailing on the jib the boat will develop lee helm.’
- ‘Hike out to produce lee helm or place the crew on the leeward side to produce weather helm.’
- ‘This condition is known as lee helm and can be dangerous.’
- ‘With the opposite, lee helm, the yacht would turn to leeward and risk a knockdown or a dangerous accidental jibe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.