One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stop attending school on reaching a certain age or educational stage.‘he left school at 16’
- ‘I was upset she was leaving school and probably ending her education.’
- ‘For us, finishing Year 12 means having a higher level of education and a wider range of work options when we leave school.’
- ‘After her father died, she left school with the equivalent of a grade 8 education, and went to work.’
- ‘Although she dreamed of becoming a doctor, financial problems forced her to leave school early, and she never received a formal education.’
- ‘She wanted to wait until the children finished school and leave school for the summer.’
- ‘With American education falling into decay, and each generation leaving school more hopeless than the last, it's good to know New York State isn't bilking its teachers.’
- ‘Up until 1991, most drivers had little education, with many of them leaving school by 15 years of age, serving three years as an apprentice mechanic or clerk before training as a driver.’
- ‘But over 46 million adults lack a high school education, and every year 500,000 students leave school without graduating.’
- ‘He admits that real education doesn't start until after you leave school and start working with great artists.’
- ‘She left school at age 14 with an eighth grade education to work in factories.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.