One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be highly unsatisfactory.
- ‘It started awhile back when I noticed some of your signs leaving a lot to be desired in the grammar department.’
- ‘The architect they chose left a lot to be desired and the building gradually became vacant.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the play is as elementary as its title, leaving much to be desired in plot and characterization.’
- ‘In 1842, he performed an experiment that left much to be desired in the control of experimental variables.’
- ‘Granted the puppetry leaves a lot to be desired, but it was made a long time ago so it can be forgiven for that.’
- ‘Although the liquid diet leaves a lot to be desired, it hasn't been terribly difficult for me to adhere to.’
- ‘The last release left much to be desired, to be diplomatic, and we do not want those mistakes to be repeated.’
- ‘In its infancy, pin and ball were made of hardwood, leaving much to be desired with regard to uniformity.’
- ‘Many had come from standard, hierarchical organizations which left a lot to be desired on an individual level.’
- ‘But their business practices leave much to be desired, and their fly-by-night bakery quickly ends up in the red.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.