One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a lasting or significant effect.‘she left her mark on the world of foreign policy’
- ‘Few people have so left their mark upon the world.’
- ‘Incursions into the country, successively by the Persians, Byzantines, Mongols and Turks are all said to have left their mark on the cuisine.’
- ‘Today's Indian cuisine is certainly not exactly what it was thousands of years ago as invasions, migrations and travel have left their mark on the sub-continent.’
- ‘He penned pamphlets of protest, left his mark on Philadelphia's most significant free black institutions, and produced a moving spiritual autobiography.’
- ‘Not all of us will get to do that, but you can with the self-assurance that you have indeed left your mark.’
- ‘During the Cold War, it was the Russians who left their mark.’
- ‘Here are the three affairs that truly left their mark in history.’
- ‘We must never forget the day when the terrorists left their mark of murder on our nation.’
- ‘The riots of a year ago, have however, left their mark.’
- ‘It wasn't a game for cowards, as some bone-crunching hits, and a mass brawl in a bad-tempered first-half, left their mark physically on both sets of players.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.