A carp of a variety which lacks scales.
- ‘Three varieties used to be bred in Europe: mirror carp, linear carp and leather carp.’
- ‘Although the average size of the common, mirror, ghost and leather carp in the lakes varies between 5lb and 6lb there are plenty of larger fish with the biggest running to 20 lb.’
- ‘Since the genes that control scale vs no scale in carp are not absolute, it is very possible that a genetic leather carp could have an odd scale or three.’
- ‘Thirty-five of the 36 farms investigated were found to have trout contaminated with the substance while the remaining one had leather carp laced with the toxin.’
- ‘The leather carp on the other hand has smooth scales.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.