One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A carp of a variety which lacks scales.
- ‘The leather carp on the other hand has smooth scales.’
- ‘Although the average size of the common, mirror, ghost and leather carp in the lakes varies between 5lb and 6lb there are plenty of larger fish with the biggest running to 20 lb.’
- ‘Three varieties used to be bred in Europe: mirror carp, linear carp and leather carp.’
- ‘Since the genes that control scale vs no scale in carp are not absolute, it is very possible that a genetic leather carp could have an odd scale or three.’
- ‘Thirty-five of the 36 farms investigated were found to have trout contaminated with the substance while the remaining one had leather carp laced with the toxin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.