One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Best out of a group which are all undesirable or of poor quality.‘choosing the least worst option is your only escape’
- ‘As he himself noted in a recent interview, he is the "least worst" choice of the two candidates.’
- ‘Affirmative action, despite its flaws, is the least worst option.’
- ‘British television has been described as 'the least worst television in the world', a tribute, albeit grudging, to its quality.’
- ‘Penalty shoot-outs do not decide the better team, they decide the least worst team.’
- ‘I think all the parties are dismal although I do usually bother to vote for the least worst.’
- ‘Many thought that she might yet prove to be the least worst option to 'lead' the government in the coming term.’
- ‘If services have to be cut to reduce costs, reductions in opening hours are the least worst option.’
- ‘It is a question of choosing not the best option but the least worst.’
- ‘I must sadly agree that his proposal may be the least worst solution.’
- ‘People use British trains because the roads are so clogged they are the least worst alternative.’
- ‘He would do well to listen to every possible version, including his chancellor's, in seeking the least worst answer to this conundrum.’
- ‘Surely the smart move is to support the least worst party’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.