Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A method of estimating a quantity or fitting a graph to data so as to minimize the sum of the squares of the differences between the observed values and the estimated values.
- ‘Why is it that the least squares regression line is said not to be resistant to outliers?’
- ‘One thing is certain, to find the least squares polynomial the above linear system must be solved.’
- ‘The general least squares process can be used to solve a set of equations for a set of unknowns.’
- ‘For linear models, the least squares minimization is usually done analytically using calculus.’
- ‘Other topics related to total least squares, errors-in-variables modeling, and their applications are also welcome.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.