Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The holding of property by lease.‘a form of leasehold’Often contrasted with freeholdas modifier ‘leasehold premises’
rental agreement, hire agreement, charter, contractView synonyms
- ‘The state Supreme Court has ruled that a lawsuit seeking mandatory leasehold conversion at the condominium did not have the required number of owners needed to proceed.’
- ‘Moreover, the legal status of leasehold titles needs clarification whilst provisions for the transfer and inheritance of leases will improve security of tenure.’
- ‘There are other traditional leasehold structures including terminating leases of 50-100 years.’
- ‘With a well-written lease and a properly managed building, a leasehold flat should provide a perfectly good home for occupants and a secure investment.’
- ‘For instance, a 10-year leasehold interest may not be like-kind with an 18-year leasehold interest.’
- 1.1 A property held by lease.
building, buildings, premises, house, houses, land, estates, acres, acreageView synonyms
- ‘Do the people who buy leaseholds even know they will have big problems when their leasehold expires?’
- ‘All lessees on the airport shall be responsible for keeping all aircraft parked on their leaseholds entirely within the boundaries of the leasehold with no wing, tail, nose, or other portion of the aircraft extending over such boundaries.’
- ‘In declining real estate value environment, long-term leaseholds could become an liabilities instead of assets.’
- ‘He gave the pledge after a series of MPs made pleas for leaseholds to be scrapped.’
- ‘Timeshares and leaseholds are available in fully furnished 15th century buildings of various sizes.’
Early 18th century: from lease, on the pattern of freehold.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.