Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition in which a person suffers from a sense of powerlessness, arising from a traumatic event or persistent failure to succeed. It is thought to be one of the underlying causes of depression.
- ‘As in life in general, it's hard to break out of a cycle of learned helplessness when it comes to computers.’
- ‘But it does demonstrate what damage learned helplessness can do in making people live a life of fear.’
- ‘This list provides a forum for scholarly discussion of learned helplessness and explanatory style.’
- ‘Replace these phrases with words that encourage independence and prevent learned helplessness in children.’
- ‘The involvement of opioid system on the learned helplessness model of depression was investigated.’
learned helplessness/ˌlərnd ˈhelplisnəs/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.