Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to an internal combustion engine designed to run on a lean mixture to reduce pollution.‘lean-burn technology’
- ‘They have been proven to go beyond the lean-burn limit of a standard spark ignition.’
- ‘Businesses that run lean-burn, spark-ignited natural gas industrial engines face the same challenges as other gas-fueled engine operators - and then some.’
- ‘Such diesel engines and ‘lean-burn’ petrol engines are more economical than conventional engines.’
- ‘With lean-burn natural gas, propane or dual-fuel industrial engines, you face tough, twin challenges in exhaust emissions control - with stiff penalties for non-compliance.’
- ‘The main difficulties came from the variability between cylinders, which was amplified during lean-burn operation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.