Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
usually with modifier Any of a large number of fungal, bacterial, or viral plant diseases which cause leaves to develop discolored spots.
- ‘Remove and burn all leaves that show signs of rust or bacterial leaf spot.’
- ‘Other problems that could be bothersome include mildew, leaf spot, and bacterial blight.’
- ‘Anthracnose, Alternaria leaf spot and Aschochyta leaf spot all are more severe under conditions of high humidity and high temperatures.’
- ‘Resistant to 3 races of bacterial leaf spot, this hybrid has excellent yields and impressive size.’
- ‘If leaves become spotted and drop prematurely, your tree has some bacterial leaf spot; apply copper-based fungicide early in the season.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.