One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
be married to, get married to, marry, be wed to, take as one's husband, take as one's wife, lead to the altarView synonyms
- ‘But it was their impromptu meeting at a Caribbean Cup match at the Arima Velodrome in 1997 which eventually led them to the altar on January 2, 1999.’
- ‘Then, a few scenes later, we see him smiling through his tears as he leads her to the altar.’
- ‘He put the ring on her finger, then stood up and took her hand and lead her to the altar, which was actually the podium.’
- ‘Having done this, they were led to the altar, made oblations there, and ‘returned to themselves.’’
- ‘If true love is all we have to lead us to the altar, then marriage is surely a dying tradition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.