One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pencil of graphite enclosed in wood.
- ‘He returned to his desk, set the block down, and with a fine lead pencil began to trace out his morgue sketch on the smooth surface, working out a mirror image, everything reversed.’
- ‘I remember a girl I was at school with stabbing me with a lead pencil when I was about seven.’
- ‘The resultant fragments suggest that the height of N. califae was in excess of 36 times its diameter (for comparison, consider that in length an ordinary lead pencil is about 25 times its diameter and does not taper).’
- ‘An orthopedic surgeon at our facility wants to use an ordinary lead pencil to mark bone during a surgical procedure.’
- ‘I handed him a normal pencil, a lead pencil, and an eraser.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.