One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Water that has percolated through a solid and leached out some of the constituents.
- ‘Then they poured distilled water into the columns and captured this leachate as it flowed out the bottom into flasks.’
- ‘All landfills, including those not in use, produce landfill gases and leachate, or water that has permeated the surrounding soil.’
- ‘If accepted by Essex County Council, the plans would see the new facility use air, water and leachate, liquid produced by decomposing waste, to treat household waste in two 40-metre long concrete processing plants.’
- ‘Modern landfill sites, however, are lined with waterproof materials such as clay before being filled, and have collection systems that pump leachate to on-site treatment plants.’
- ‘Already, from the illegal dumping that has already been done at the site, toxic leachate has polluted ground water reaching the Carrigower and Slaney river systems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.