One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A one-handed shot made from near the basket, especially one that rebounds off the backboard.
- ‘This year my team did really bad because they couldn't hit their jump shots, 3 pointers, lay-ups, or free throws.’
- ‘You'll have a number of tools at your disposal to rack up the points on the court, along with the usual jump shots, dunks and lay-ups.’
- ‘But they were on fire and we missed nine lay-ups which really hurt us.’
- ‘The main idea is to practice lay-ups at game speed.’
- ‘He never tried jump shots, just lay-ups and dunks.’
2The state or action of something, especially a ship, being laid up.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.