One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A second or intermediate transmission shaft in a machine.
- ‘It was decided to achieve the required gear ratio a layshaft would be employed connected to both axles by chains.’
- ‘All gears are in constant mesh with their counterparts on the layshaft at all times.’
- ‘When the torque exceeds said value the torque limiting clutch 27 of said layshaft slips so that the torque in excess of said value is transmitted by the other layshaft.’
- ‘In the view above and below can be seen the gearbox consisting of three layshafts.’
- ‘In this way, the layshaft receives its power directly from the engine whenever the clutch is engaged.’
- ‘For the output, both layshafts are linked to the output shaft.’
- ‘As for the drivetrain I'm hoping the current gearbox with its supposedly stronger layshafts will hold up okay, along with a supposedly stronger salisbury rear axle.’
- ‘The parallel layshafts are located below one another giving a drop drive with outputs to the front and rear axle sets.’
- ‘Each bogie is fitted with two traction motors with final chain drive to all wheels with layshafts.’
- ‘It shows the governor and the linkages to the layshafts which control the fuel injector settings.’
- ‘At the other end of the motor another plate was made which had a hole drilled for the layshaft and a clearance hole for the motor shaft.’
- ‘As in the case of the No.2 reduction gear, the three layshafts appeared to have been spread outwards at the rear, and forced forwards relative to the annulus gear.’
- ‘The flywheel drove a crankshaft which was connected by layshafts to the steam chests which operated the inlet and exhaust valves and were controlled by the governor.’
- ‘It will make the layshafts elastic, prevent from fractures, freezing, combine perfectly with the window frame - the window will be hermetic.’
- ‘Once the clutch is dis-engaged, the layshaft will just slow down and eventually stop spinning all together.’
- ‘To be able to undo both the layshaft and mainshaft nuts you must select two gears, normally 1st and 4th gear.’
- ‘I can say that I have yet to bend a dual swingarm, although I've bent up 3 or 4 layshafts over the last year.’
- ‘This engine's innovative design incorporates an input shaft flanked by two layshafts, and each layshaft has its own set of final drive gears.’
- ‘To insure the ideal positional relationship among the input, output and layshafts, all shaft bearings are totally captured, allowing for no end play.’
- ‘The synchros are there to match the layshaft to the speed of the gear you shift to while in neutral.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.