One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period of rest or waiting before a further stage in a journey.
- ‘Based upon the schedule, that would have left me a layover of just 25 minutes in Patchogue.’
- ‘You become uncomfortably aware of stasis - standing roadside with your thumb out, waiting in Seattle for a three-hour layover, sleeping in an Alberta hostel.’
- ‘Looks like it'll be tons of fun, as I have to transfer twice and I have a two-hour layover in Baltimore.’
- ‘Every flight left on time, some even arriving early, and there were no problems with any of our layovers or connections.’
- ‘In one case, the cooperative art dealers didn't even bother to ship the paintings for a brief layover in New Hampshire.’
- ‘Nor was he told where he would be going during a four-hour layover.’
- ‘He claimed that my town was ‘on his way’ to Denver, but in truth his little layover added at least two hours of driving time to his vacation.’
- ‘My wife and I went on our honeymoon last month and saw this ring during a layover in Paris on the way to the Seychelles.’
- ‘After David went on his way, the rest of us milled about the airport for the rest of our layover.’
- ‘After a layover, I am supposed to land in San Diego about 7: 30 pm Pacific time.’
- ‘They don't overrun the place; it's just that their presence is more obvious tonight (this morning) than I've noticed in past overnight layovers here.’
- ‘Many of our nation's airports can be destinations unto themselves with live music, shopping, art and entertainment - all perks that make delays and layovers easier to handle.’
- ‘A thousand miles from anywhere, the Azores are a natural layover for voyaging sailors and adventurous pilgrims.’
- ‘Listening to his voice on the phone when I called on my layover in Dallas last night, I could tell without even seeing his face that he felt my loss in the same way, too.’
- ‘We had a six-hour layover in JFK, where our teacher told us not to go exploring and to stay put in the seating area near our departure gate.’
- ‘The president has already scheduled layovers in Latvia and Georgia, in part to recognize their progress toward democracy.’
- ‘The entire flight process takes about eight hours with layovers, so that's not a huge difference.’
- ‘And I was there for the past two weeks, and I was on my way back from there and had the layover in Paris, and that's how I wound up on this flight.’
- ‘I haven't done any neurology since medical school, so coming back to it was kind of like revisiting a foreign country in which you spent a brief layover en route to your real destination.’
- ‘Infections can be acquired en route, so layovers and intermediate stops should be identified.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.