One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of clothing, linens, and sometimes toiletries for a newborn child.
- ‘‘The layette is in the bedroom, and 18 months to 4 years is here in the living room,’ she said.’
- ‘Instantly they were flooded with offers from firms selling disposable nappies, baby food, layettes and cots.’
- ‘We in the Caribbean certainly have the capacity to manufacture our own cotton goods such as bed sheets, baby layettes and a wide variety of garments.’
- ‘It's actually a layette set that comes closed in a lunch tray.’
- ‘She gave me tips on creating a full layette and showed me some darling booties and onesies.’
- ‘I have read all the layette information but I still get confused as too how many to get.’
- ‘Speaking as a non-parent, but a frequent-flyer in the ‘baby shower gift’ category - a good friend of mine once said ‘No new mother can have too many layette blankets.’’
- ‘In its infant mortality program, Richmond's public health nurses provided not only milk and ice to their patients, but also provided the layette when needed for newborns.’
- ‘Because to me they look weird, but all of the layette lists say I'm supposed to have a few.’
- ‘They range from crib mattresses, sheets, blankets, quilts, and pillows, to layette items, clothing, diapers, and stuffed animals.’
- ‘Another tradition is that the first garment for a baby's layette is made from an old shirt that had belonged to the grandfather.’
- ‘If we're lucky, we may have someone in the family who makes the perfect cover-ups for the test of us: the wedding quilt for the newlyweds, the blanket for the new baby's layette.’
- ‘The containers include nearly 6,000 quilts, more than 3 tons of children's clothing, 3,000 sewing kits, 6,000 health kits, 8,200 school kits and 4,000 layettes.’
- ‘They're a favorite expression of charity, whether socks for soldiers, layettes for poor infants, or afghans for the homeless.’
Mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of Old French laie ‘drawer’, from Middle Dutch laege.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.