One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine for cutting the grass on a lawn.
- ‘Police figures show that as quickly as gardeners are filling their sheds with new lawnmowers and garden tools, thieves are emptying them and selling the goods on the black market.’
- ‘A mechanically propelled vehicle covers not only cars but electric or motorised wheelchairs and ride-on lawnmowers.’
- ‘These paths are merely strips of grass - perhaps two lawnmowers wide - weaving through a yard full of flowers.’
- ‘After about half a hour, he came back out of the house and then he used the lawnmower to mow the lawn.’
- ‘He forced the lawnmower across the grass one more time, and then approached the man on the porch.’
- ‘Falls from ladders cause the most injuries, followed by accidents with electrical tools such as lawnmowers, power drills and hedge strimmers.’
- ‘Residents storing petrol for their strimmers or lawnmowers are being reminded to take care.’
- ‘They would not spend their hard-earned money on lawns, lawnmowers, backyard barbecues, household appliances, and mortgages.’
- ‘However, grass clippings are becoming scarce because of the increased popularity of mulching lawnmowers that provide many of the same benefits of mulching to lawns.’
- ‘Push lawnmowers were popular, and riders were just getting on the scene.’
- ‘Vibrations from heavy machinery like lawnmowers can upset all bees.’
- ‘The other half of the garage was crowded with lawnmowers, weed-whackers, tools, and excessive amounts of junk.’
- ‘He was waiting to retrieve one of his garden service's lawnmowers, locked in a friend's garage, and said he'd walk with me because he had something huge to tell me.’
- ‘The change, coming by way of an amended noise by-law, now allows residents to operate lawnmowers and other power machinery as early as 9 a.m.’
- ‘Raise the height of cut on the lawnmower and cut lawns less frequently as the cooler weather slows down growth.’
- ‘I walked back outside, watching Jake as he finished off the lawn and wheeled the lawnmower back to the garage.’
- ‘Then back-hoes, lawnmowers and tree pruning equipment put diesel emissions into the air and pesticides and fertilizers into the water.’
- ‘I now really need a lawnmower, some round up, a spade and fertiliser.’
- ‘Don't add fuel to your lawnmower while the engine is running or the mower is still hot.’
- ‘All the machines were making as much noise as lawnmowers and were spewing black smoke and waggling and were conspicuously belt-operated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.