One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine for cutting the grass on a lawn.
- ‘He was waiting to retrieve one of his garden service's lawnmowers, locked in a friend's garage, and said he'd walk with me because he had something huge to tell me.’
- ‘The other half of the garage was crowded with lawnmowers, weed-whackers, tools, and excessive amounts of junk.’
- ‘I now really need a lawnmower, some round up, a spade and fertiliser.’
- ‘All the machines were making as much noise as lawnmowers and were spewing black smoke and waggling and were conspicuously belt-operated.’
- ‘These paths are merely strips of grass - perhaps two lawnmowers wide - weaving through a yard full of flowers.’
- ‘I walked back outside, watching Jake as he finished off the lawn and wheeled the lawnmower back to the garage.’
- ‘A mechanically propelled vehicle covers not only cars but electric or motorised wheelchairs and ride-on lawnmowers.’
- ‘Push lawnmowers were popular, and riders were just getting on the scene.’
- ‘Falls from ladders cause the most injuries, followed by accidents with electrical tools such as lawnmowers, power drills and hedge strimmers.’
- ‘They would not spend their hard-earned money on lawns, lawnmowers, backyard barbecues, household appliances, and mortgages.’
- ‘Then back-hoes, lawnmowers and tree pruning equipment put diesel emissions into the air and pesticides and fertilizers into the water.’
- ‘Vibrations from heavy machinery like lawnmowers can upset all bees.’
- ‘Residents storing petrol for their strimmers or lawnmowers are being reminded to take care.’
- ‘The change, coming by way of an amended noise by-law, now allows residents to operate lawnmowers and other power machinery as early as 9 a.m.’
- ‘He forced the lawnmower across the grass one more time, and then approached the man on the porch.’
- ‘After about half a hour, he came back out of the house and then he used the lawnmower to mow the lawn.’
- ‘Police figures show that as quickly as gardeners are filling their sheds with new lawnmowers and garden tools, thieves are emptying them and selling the goods on the black market.’
- ‘However, grass clippings are becoming scarce because of the increased popularity of mulching lawnmowers that provide many of the same benefits of mulching to lawns.’
- ‘Raise the height of cut on the lawnmower and cut lawns less frequently as the cooler weather slows down growth.’
- ‘Don't add fuel to your lawnmower while the engine is running or the mower is still hot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.