One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that conforms to or is permitted or recognized by the law.‘he was deemed to have acted lawfully and was not prosecuted’‘the recording had been lawfully obtained’
- ‘The group will strengthen monitoring functions to ensure its companies are conducting all their operations lawfully.’
- ‘They can demand the owner prove it was acquired lawfully.’
- ‘Do you, William, take Elizabeth to be your lawfully wedded wife?’
- ‘The men claim they were not obliged to comply with requests that had not been lawfully issued following a board meeting.’
- ‘Everyone has got the right to protest but it has to be done peacefully and lawfully.’
- ‘The judge's edict that all copies be returned or destroyed has annoyed many, especially since they were lawfully obtained.’
- ‘The job cuts were done fairly and lawfully, based on legitimate business reasons.’
- ‘In this case, the outcome of the appeal does not depend upon whether the employers were or were not entitled lawfully to terminate the contract without notice.’
- ‘The bailiff in this case was acting lawfully.’
- ‘Before military action can lawfully be undertaken against Iraq, the security council must have indicated its clearly expressed assent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.