One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The law regulating the inheritance of property.
- ‘There are all sorts of areas of law where even the common law of bankruptcy has private international law aspects, as does the common law of succession.’
- ‘Mr Kaoma said chiefs should advise Government on issues related to the law of succession, traditional medicines and traditional cleansing in the face of the HIV / AIDS pandemic.’
- ‘It caused untold hardship in terms of the laws of succession for blacks and even provided for the separation of the administration of white and black intestate estates.’
- ‘This, in my view, would be a distortion of the principles underlying customary law of succession and inheritance.’
- ‘In substance the law of succession remained the same, with a few exceptions concerning priests and members of religious orders.’
- ‘The Law of Succession, which governs inheritance rights, provides for equal consideration of male and female children;’
- ‘In March 2001 his solicitors obtained the opinion of an advocate in New Delhi concerning the customary Hindu law of succession.’
- 1.1 The law regulating the appointment of a new monarch or head of state.
- ‘So, she will be his wife under common law, but not the Queen under the law of succession.’
- ‘The exception is royalty, where, by the laws of succession, a high position is inevitable.’
- ‘Like Luxembourg, Liechtenstein has plenty of male heirs in sight, but unlike its counterpart, Liechtenstein shows no signs of changing the laws of succession.’
- ‘The law of succession in Scotland is enshrined within the Succession Act 1964, as amended.’
- ‘Whereas Norway, Sweden and Monaco, among others, have all changed the laws of succession that once gave male heirs precedence over females, Britain has not.’
- ‘Sweden was the world's first monarchy to change the laws of succession to favour the first child born to the monarch regardless of gender.’
- ‘Male primogeniture governed most property arrangements as well as the laws of succession to the crown.’
- ‘Reforming the laws of succession would involve altering the Act of Settlement between Scotland and England and changing the law of several Commonwealth countries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.