One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural tunnel within a solidified lava flow, formerly occupied by flowing molten lava.
- ‘In 1996, the Italian army proved this by detonating 15,000 pounds of mining explosives to successfully block a lava tube leading from Mount Etna and threatening villages below.’
- ‘It could be the entrance to an old lava tube similar to those found in Hawaii.’
- ‘As the lava flows onwards, this skin is left behind as a lava tunnel.’
- ‘We spend a few minutes inside a lava tube, in the pitch dark, listening to a primal silence.’
- ‘Another way to protect a lunar base from radiation is to put it underground in a lava tube.’
- ‘Channeled through a lava tube, the sea can roar and blow its spray as high as 50 feet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.