Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mass of flowing or solidified lava.
- ‘For example, at Iceland's Askja Caldera volcano, which has been active during the past 5,000 years, there is a small crater lake that was created by a 1834 lava flow.’
- ‘You'll feel them on a hike along the edge of a molten lava flow on Kilauea, the world's most active volcano, as the heat inside the earth's core rises through the bottoms of your feet.’
- ‘The three conical mounds are, apparently, the remains of a volcanic lava flow that, millions of years ago, intruded into the underground sandstone.’
- ‘The largest lava flow on peninsular India spreads over about 5 million square kilometers, covering much of western, central, and southern India.’
- ‘It did not threaten the local population because the lava flow descended into the Virunga national park.’
- ‘Should the wall of the lava lake be breached, lava escapes and moves down the side of the volcano as a lava flow.’
- ‘Geologists and geophysicists aim to accurately constrain the architecture and facies variations at the lava flow scale.’
- ‘During the next three years, four inclined shafts were sunk along the strike of the lava flow to develop the lode.’
- ‘‘Even on Earth it can be hard to distinguish a lava flow from a mudflow,’ she said.’
- ‘The lava from the Undara volcano travelled 164 km to create the longest lava flow from one single vent in modern geological time.’
- ‘The last lava flow from the volcano were recorded in 1007 and the mountain contains many tunnels, pillars and other unusual features that formed as the molten basalt cooled.’
- ‘Sporadic explosions, ashfall, and an erupting lava flow are clear signs that the volcano is not yet finished.’
- ‘We infer that this fluting represents a lithological unit, perhaps a lava flow, within the flanks of the edifice.’
- ‘The current lava flows are arms of the larger lava flow that erupted earlier this year.’
- ‘Steve poked his head out the window and saw that a volcano had erupted and a hot lava flow was headed right towards the hotel!’
- ‘The lava flow spreads 25 miles north to south, and nine miles east to west.’
- ‘The lava flow sequences exposed along the main barrancos do not display any gaps in the volcanic activity.’
- ‘The lava flow managed to spill over the cooled igneous rock but what little did was diverted away from the town.’
- ‘An extension of an old lava flow that submerged the surrounding beach, the wall begins at 5ft, three yards from the island's shore, and drops to a maximum depth of 65 ft.’
- ‘The native-copper deposits can be further divided into fissure veins, and blanket-type lode deposits that occur in amygdaloidal lava flow tops and sedimentary conglomerate beds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.