Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
washroom, laundry room, launderette, dry cleaner's, public wash house, chinese laundryView synonyms
- ‘Applicants are invited for a convenience store, pharmacy, bank, crèche, coffee shop, sandwich bar, hair salon, mobile phone outlet, launderette and restaurant.’
- ‘Your employer would have to provide a little on-site launderette, but that is a small price to pay for keeping staff happy.’
- ‘They run the country's largest and busiest launderette, in Glasgow.’
- ‘The plainclothes policewoman strikes up a conversation with a group of women suspects in the estate's launderette but does not say who she is.’
- ‘Shared facilities might include, as they do elsewhere, launderette, child-minding facilities, dining and open space.’
- ‘One convenience we would have liked to see onboard was a self-service launderette - particularly in light of the ship's longer itineraries.’
- ‘There's no doctor's surgery as yet and I can confirm that all of the families appear to have their own washing machines so it looks like there'll be no launderette either.’
- ‘When I was born in 1952, my mother was living in a flat above a launderette in Ellum Broadway.’
- ‘Clean spread sheets were easy to maintain in his first overseas bank because it was in a converted London launderette.’
- ‘Excellent, I won't need to use that bloody launderette ever again.’
- ‘The fully managed complex will include a manager's office, reception area, coffee dock, shop, launderette and security office.’
- ‘At ground level is a mix of shops, cafes, professional chambers, launderettes and similar communal services, and flats.’
- ‘We reached the launderette, and I knocked on the blue door by the side.’
- ‘The development is due for completion in autumn of next year, when it will include a residents' gym and launderette.’
- ‘Then she moved to Bruff, bought a service station and a small shop and built a supermarket, hairdressers and launderette.’
- ‘While waiting for my laundry in the Lost Sock launderette I decided to go exploring.’
- ‘It includes a bar, restaurant, function room, two suites for meetings, an office, launderette and 26 bedrooms.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.