One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use of Latin style or words of Latin origin.‘a standard complaint was its excessive Latinity’
- ‘The bishop was compelled by pontifical authority to desist from this wicked labor, and Latinity did not recover until the Renaissance.’
- ‘Saints were by definition postclassical, hagiography postclassical and barbarous, often characterized by ‘poor’ (by classical standards) Latinity and crude miracles.’
- ‘Scholarly reactions to the Latinity of the Whitby text are symptomatic of this state of affairs.’
- ‘Both learning Latin and using its extension into a vernacular are often associated with prestigious systems of education, such as Latinity in the public schools of England.’
- ‘This suggests, among other things, that the global dominance of modern English does not somehow repeat an early-modern global Latinity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.