Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A milky fluid found in many plants, such as poppies and spurges, that exudes when the plant is cut and coagulates on exposure to the air. The latex of the rubber tree is the chief source of natural rubber.
- ‘Natural latex consists of 2 % to 3 % protein.’
- ‘Concerns about latex protein allergy, however, have caused a number of health care facilities to seek alternatives.’
- ‘Figs are members of the rubber tree family and secrete white, sticky latex that can irritate the skin.’
- ‘The Latin name lactuca is connected with lac, milk, because of the milky sap or latex which oozes out of the cut stem.’
- ‘Often, parents or caregivers are not aware of the risk of sensitivity to natural rubber latex.’
- ‘Bubble gums are made of sugar, corn syrup, flavours, softeners and latex or plastic.’
- ‘They also made a medicine against fevers from the latex sap of the plant.’
- ‘The fibers are twisted into ropes and sprayed with natural latex, which increases their elasticity.’
- ‘Further recommendations included what to do if an employee was suffering from latex allergies.’
- ‘Natural latex is a milky fluid produced by the rubber tree and is used for manufacturing scores of every day items.’
- ‘Latex commonly is referred to as natural rubber latex or by the simplified term rubber.’
- ‘They were rubber tappers, and the liquid and the sheets were latex - the sap of the rubber tree.’
- ‘Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to adalimumab, rubber or latex.’
- ‘They depend on it for their livelihood as they collect rubber latex from the Hevea brazilensis trees.’
- ‘This fluid is called the fig latex and has antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties.’
- ‘Otherwise, by law, we are to assume the product does not contain latex.’
- ‘My mother did rubber latex tapping for a meagre wage to feed us.’
- ‘Aloe latex should especially be avoided during pregnancy.’
- ‘It is one of those types of plants that if you cut the stem, it exudes a sticky white sort of latex.’
- ‘Tapping latex - the main source of local revenue in Nias - is her family's only way to earn a living.’
- 1.1A synthetic product resembling latex, consisting of a dispersion in water of polymer particles, used to make paints, coatings, and other products.
- ‘For the early experiments in the series reported here a latex enamel paint solution was used to colour the vessels.’
- ‘But probably the best results come when the concrete is modified with polymer latex.’
- ‘Is it possible to purchase this liquid latex in 16-ounce or larger quantities?’
- ‘A prototype probably, covered in some kind of synthetic latex.’
- ‘The water-based latexes of the invention provide stable emulsions containing a blend of waterborne polymer particles which undergo crosslinking upon film formation.’
- ‘Either latex or solvent-based paint can be used, but you must use one type only.’
- ‘Humidity affects the drying time of all paints, but especially latexes.’
- ‘Pour the liquid latex into the sand and cement mixture and mix it completely with a trowel or other tool.’
- ‘The three latexes that are most commonly used in polymer-modified concrete are styrene-butadiene resin, acrylic latex, and vinyl acetate ethylene copolymer.’
- ‘I buy the best grade exterior latex paint, rather than oil or other solvent based paint.’
- ‘Prime the wall with a low luster latex enamel paint and allow it to dry completely before the next step.’
- ‘The couples were randomly assigned to receive latex or polyurethane condoms.’
- ‘The most efficient way to paint a textured ceiling is with spray paint - a flat latex.’
- ‘They are typically incorporated into the formulation through a latex emulsion.’
- ‘Top quality acrylic latex paints are the best choice for exterior surfaces.’
- ‘If you are using latex paints, then you want a synthetic brush like polyester.’
- ‘If a plastic moisture barrier is present, either an oil or latex floor coating may be used.’
- ‘Other parts of the painting have the gritty texture of sand, which Sudduth has added to latex paint.’
- 1.2A type of paint used for walls, consisting of pigment bound in synthetic latex that forms an emulsion with water.
Mid 17th century (denoting various bodily fluids, especially the watery part of blood): from Latin, literally liquid, fluid.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.