Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The solving of problems by an indirect and creative approach, typically through viewing the problem in a new and unusual light.Contrasted with vertical thinking
- ‘Alternatively, try some lateral thinking to solve your problem.’
- ‘There are ways of dealing with these things but it requires lateral thinking and money from the industry.’
- ‘It's just that I feel this piece is so provocatively unusual, it takes a lot of lateral thinking to fully appreciate the intricately evil themes.’
- ‘Direct approaches to companies and some lateral thinking can often bag cash for you comedy project.’
- ‘It allows creative, lateral thinking, basically silly, saying the first thing that comes into your head, no great depth.’
- ‘Even better, the service was developed using just creative and lateral thinking without any extra funding.’
- ‘With a bit of ingenuity and lateral thinking, you can save a lot of money while having great fun at the same time.’
- ‘There's a genuine climate of fear in workplaces that is not at all conducive to creative thinking and lateral thinking you need to be a productive worker in the information age.’
- ‘The idea is that five people sit round a table discussing logic problems, amusing anagrams, and the sort of lateral thinking puzzles that were popular in playgrounds when I was six.’
- ‘The company received over 250 emails from older people, who enjoy playing more lateral thinking games rather than shoot-them-up types.’
- ‘As far as publishers are concerned, modern strategies for book selection are so painfully and obviously fallible that it is tempting to suggest that some lateral thinking ought to be applied.’
- ‘So, this morning, when I found him, forlorn, trying to get the project further forward, I determined that a leap in the direction of lateral thinking was called for.’
- ‘But, just because I enjoy networking and lateral thinking doesn't mean that my skills are that much more valuable than someone else's.’
- ‘Moreover, motion graphics provides one of the most flexible and accessible environments in which to create media that is open and conducive to lateral thinking and free creative thought.’
- ‘We approach things in a different way, we use more lateral thinking, and have more common-sense, practical solutions.’
- ‘They also underline the creative and lateral thinking which helps to make us market leaders.’
- ‘Sponsors can expect to gain unfettered access to all the intellectual property in the building, where about 100 employees work on various projects involving lateral thinking.’
- ‘If this operation only generated double the full-time branch's business then with a bit of lateral thinking and community backing someone could make a decent living from it.’
- ‘The results require some generous lateral thinking.’
- ‘With creativity and lateral thinking we could offer new products based on need to address new segments of the marketplace that are untapped.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.