One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The heat required to convert a solid into a liquid or vapor, or a liquid into a vapor, without change of temperature.‘the latent heat of fusion’
- ‘Conversely, when a gas condenses, it must release this latent heat and become a liquid before it can cool below its boiling temperature.’
- ‘Energy is required to provide the latent heat of evaporation for the phase change from liquid to gas (water vapour), which takes place in the cavity below the stomata.’
- ‘The theory of latent heat was used by Watt to successfully develop the separate condenser.’
- ‘He gave explanations of the nature of free heat and latent heat.’
- ‘Surface warming leads to cumulus convection and release of latent heat, producing warm temperatures throughout the troposphere.’
- ‘Also in year 10 we covered heat, including specific heat capacity and latent heat, and conservation of energy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.