Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The state of existing but not yet being developed or manifest; concealment.‘tension, and the latency of violence, make the greatest impressions’
- ‘There was a decrease in response latency.’
- ‘Exercise has been observed to reduce sleep latency and lengthen time spent asleep.’
- ‘we compared latency to consume novel foods and phobia of novel objects between populations.’
- ‘Progressive muscle relaxation resulted in significant decreases in the latency of sleep onset.’
- ‘Tension, and the latency of violence, make the greatest impressions.’
- ‘We also recorded the latency to the first aggressive behavior.’
- ‘Response latency and accuracy were recorded by a computer.’
- ‘We measured the latency of the choice for each female.’
- ‘The latency of the electrical response was also prolonged.’
- ‘The problem is, whenever intelligence is injected into a process, latency is introduced.’
- 1.1The state of a disease not yet manifesting the usual symptoms.‘the latency of tumors in mice’[as modifier] ‘the disease's latency period can last up to five years’
- ‘A long latency period can make it difficult to associate asthma with an occupational source.’
- ‘Exposure to arsenic leads to cancer only after a latency period.’
- ‘There may be different latency periods for the two malignancies.’
- ‘The latency of tumors in mice receiving the treatment was significantly increased.’
- ‘The disease's latency period can last up to five years, making it difficult to detect.’
The delay before a transfer of data begins following an instruction for its transfer.‘poor performance due to network latency’[count noun] ‘there are several ways to minimize rotational latencies’[as modifier] ‘subscribers can expect some latency time when issuing a request’
- ‘If there is a little latency when a customer opens your e-mail, you might lose that customer.’
- ‘If the network is busy, then voice calls can suffer from latency and the quality of the service becomes unacceptably low.’
- ‘Being the Internet, you can also not count on perfectly low latency connections all the time.’
- ‘Fast streaming technology reduces server latency.’
- ‘They have revised the product, tightening up latencies and improving performance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.