Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a car) recently made or of a recent design.
- ‘It had a neat yellow paint job and a black satellite dish bolted to its roof, and the driveway was packed with three late-model vehicles - two extended-cab pickups and a 30-foot motor home.’
- ‘There is a late-model car parked out front, beside which the Chief parks his station wagon.’
- ‘Deepening used-car market penetration and sparking interest in his stores, Martin expanded his selection of late-model as well as older used cars, widening the cheap-to-expensive spread.’
- ‘External factors such as gasoline prices have recently depressed the values of late-model gas-guzzlers, thereby increasing the amount of depreciation suffered by these vehicles.’
- ‘Of the four late-model cars pictured, only the VW Beetle gets somewhat decent gas mileage.’
- ‘‘I was having fun driving late-model cars,’ Junior says.’
- ‘With them will come the expensive boutiques, the chic coffee shops, the late-model cars.’
- ‘I hit the horn and watched the event unfold in slow motion: The late-model sedan kissed the side of my car, and kept going, pressing deeper into the door.’
- ‘If you've ever used a cell phone, turned the key in the ignition of a late-model car, heated up lunch in a microwave or had a pacemaker installed, you've been touched by Kilby's legacy.’
- ‘Also, many late-model cars now offer satellite radio either as a standard or an optional feature.’
- ‘When your late-model car's oxygen sensor goes on the fritz, it will impair operation of the catalytic converter and probably cause your car to flunk its next emission test.’
- ‘The wide availability of late-model used vehicles is one of the major negative impacts of the zero-percent financing boom.’
- ‘Tverskaya Street, the capital's principal artery, is filled with strollers, late-model cars, and outdoor cafés.’
- ‘In my opinion, the easiest cars to work on are late-model four-cylinder Japanese cars.’
- ‘The used car market also thrived, thanks to the emergence of the so-called ‘near-new market,’ featuring many late-model, low-mileage vehicles with long warranty plans.’
- ‘It might not have anything resembling an actual sidewalk, but there is a late-model SUV parked in every driveway and the local restaurant was serving mahi-mahi and shrimp pomodoro.’
- ‘Though endearingly dorky, he had some pretty sweet wheels: a late-model BMW.’
- ‘And while owners of all makes and models are welcome to apply, news reports note that generally these companies prefer late-model, distinctive vehicles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.