Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a car) recently made or of a recent design.
- ‘Though endearingly dorky, he had some pretty sweet wheels: a late-model BMW.’
- ‘The wide availability of late-model used vehicles is one of the major negative impacts of the zero-percent financing boom.’
- ‘It had a neat yellow paint job and a black satellite dish bolted to its roof, and the driveway was packed with three late-model vehicles - two extended-cab pickups and a 30-foot motor home.’
- ‘In my opinion, the easiest cars to work on are late-model four-cylinder Japanese cars.’
- ‘Deepening used-car market penetration and sparking interest in his stores, Martin expanded his selection of late-model as well as older used cars, widening the cheap-to-expensive spread.’
- ‘When your late-model car's oxygen sensor goes on the fritz, it will impair operation of the catalytic converter and probably cause your car to flunk its next emission test.’
- ‘And while owners of all makes and models are welcome to apply, news reports note that generally these companies prefer late-model, distinctive vehicles.’
- ‘External factors such as gasoline prices have recently depressed the values of late-model gas-guzzlers, thereby increasing the amount of depreciation suffered by these vehicles.’
- ‘If you've ever used a cell phone, turned the key in the ignition of a late-model car, heated up lunch in a microwave or had a pacemaker installed, you've been touched by Kilby's legacy.’
- ‘‘I was having fun driving late-model cars,’ Junior says.’
- ‘Tverskaya Street, the capital's principal artery, is filled with strollers, late-model cars, and outdoor cafés.’
- ‘Of the four late-model cars pictured, only the VW Beetle gets somewhat decent gas mileage.’
- ‘With them will come the expensive boutiques, the chic coffee shops, the late-model cars.’
- ‘Also, many late-model cars now offer satellite radio either as a standard or an optional feature.’
- ‘There is a late-model car parked out front, beside which the Chief parks his station wagon.’
- ‘I hit the horn and watched the event unfold in slow motion: The late-model sedan kissed the side of my car, and kept going, pressing deeper into the door.’
- ‘It might not have anything resembling an actual sidewalk, but there is a late-model SUV parked in every driveway and the local restaurant was serving mahi-mahi and shrimp pomodoro.’
- ‘The used car market also thrived, thanks to the emergence of the so-called ‘near-new market,’ featuring many late-model, low-mileage vehicles with long warranty plans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.