A narrow thong or lace for fastening a shoe or sandal.
shoelace, bootlace, shoestring, lacing, string, cord, thong, twine, tieView synonyms
- ‘The cover with mock latchet and ring finial and the two-stepped, angular handles on the body are popular features on pieces from 1800 onwards.’
- ‘This would also be consistent with the latchets, which were likely fastened over the instep with a buckle.’
- ‘The shoes lose their fit and the latchets soon have to replaced by a cobbled-in bit of scrap leather.’
- ‘Buckles were made to be attached to the shoe's two straps, or latchets, securing them over the instep.’
- ‘Another method of fastening shoes involved using ribbon or tapes to secure latchets which are folded over.’
Late Middle English: from Old French lachet, variant of lacet, from laz lace.