One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In other words, can the ethics of a godless secular state be lastingly legitimate and effective?’
- ‘Conventions are all about giving a boost to the candidate - preferably one that lastingly rallies credibility and a sense of presidentiality to his banner.’
- ‘At the time, when something of which you had hope is thus disintegrating, there's not much to do except hang on to your vestigial self and hope not to be made too lastingly cynical by the process.’
- ‘After three years immersed in Scottish politics and policy, firstly as a government adviser and latterly, and more lastingly, as a commentator, I am returning to London next week to work as a political adviser to the Prime Minister.’
- ‘While I admit to the occasional beefcake weakness, the rumpled intellectual look tends to keep my knees most lastingly shaky.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.