One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A final or definitive pronouncement on or decision about a subject.‘he's always determined to have the last word’
- ‘The last word about punishment is that, while it can work, it is very hard to implement effectively, because of all the requirements listed above.’
- ‘Here the pitch is high, as last words always are, and as final stands must be.’
- ‘I'm sure this debate will rage on, as it has for years now, but this will be my last word on the subject - at least in this venue.’
- ‘This early morning stream of consciousness missive will be my last word on the subject.’
- ‘And I think this will be my last word on the subject because I simply don't want the dispute to go any further.’
- ‘It was not his last word on the subject; it was his first word.’
- ‘And I promise that is my last word on the subject.’
2The finest or most modern, fashionable, or advanced example of something.‘the spa is the last word in luxury and efficiency’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.